The Master of Traditional Oriental Medicine program at Emperor’s College is recognized as a leader in the growing field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Founded in 1983 and accredited by ACAOM (Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) in 1989, Emperor’s College is one of the oldest Oriental medicine institutions in the United States.
The Master of Traditional Oriental Medicine program is designed to be completed in 4 years of full-time study.
Full-time course load is a minimum of 14 units per quarter (refer to the Recommended Course Sequence for curriculum flow and quarterly course loads).
Some master’s students maintain part-time employment while completing their graduate studies on a part-time basis.
Part-time course load is 9-13 units per quarter.
29% of students who graduated between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 completed the master’s program within 4 years.
70% of students who graduated between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 completed the master’s program within 5 years.
30% of students who graduated between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 completed the master’s program in more than 5 years.
Emperor’s College alumni are successful and highly regarded practitioners of Oriental medicine who continue to push the medicine to new heights while remaining deeply rooted in its history and tradition.
Emperor’s College is highly regarded for its comprehensive curriculum, renowned faculty, and extensive clinical training. Our alumni consistently achieve some of the highest pass rates on national and state licensing exams.
Year over year, our graduates achieve one of the highest pass rates on the California Acupuncture Licensing Exam. Our historical pass rate on the national certification exam (NCCAOM) far surpasses national averages.
As reported to the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine in November 2012, 70.4% of alumni who graduated in the previous year were employed in the field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine.
As reported to California Bureau of Private Post-Secondary Education in 2012, 75% of alumni who graduated between January 1, 2011 and December 30, 2011 were employed in the field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. The remaining 25% were actively pursuing licensure and/or employment.
Emperor’s College prepares students to work as acupuncturists (Standard Occupational Classification #29-1199.01)
The future is bright for acupuncturists with expectations of increased employment opportunities and salaries in the years to come. Click here to see the legislative actions underway in California. Check out the US Department of Labor report here (from O-Net, a division of the US Department of Labor).
COST OF EDUCATION
Tuition for the Master of Traditional Oriental Medicine program at Emperor’s College is approximately $59,000. This estimate includes all required tuition, fees, clinical malpractice insurance costs and textbooks.
In the first and second years of the program, tuition is approximately $13,000 per year.
In the third and fourth years of the program, tuition is approximately $15,500 per year.
As of January 2013:
$170/unit for didactic coursework
$17/hour for clinical training
Detailed breakdown of tuition and fees can be found here.
Pursuing a master’s degree in traditional Oriental medicine is a significant investment of time and money and our Financial Aid department understands this well. A dedicated team is committed to providing students with the financial aid resources needed to meet the educational costs of furthering their education and starting on the path of a new and fulfilling career.
In addition to numerous scholarships available throughout the year, funding through the Federal Direct Loan Program is also available.
The median Title IV loan debt for master’s program graduates in the 2011-2012 award year was $73,146. Individual borrowing amounts may vary.
Our master’s students maintain a zero median loan debt for private loans and institutional debt.
To further assist our former students in responsible loan repayment and management, we teamed up with American Student Assistance (ASA) to provide free access to SALT, a membership program that provides students access to expert student loan counselors that help manage finances after graduate school. You can find out more about SALT at www.saltmoney.org.
CRIME AND CAMPUS SECURITY
The Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 requires that Emperor’s College publish statistics of crime that occur on or directly adjacent to campus for a three year period. This report will be published by October 1st of each year.