Financial Aid FAQ’s


Apply using the online FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) on the internet or one of Emperor’s College’s student computers located in the library. For complete financial aid application instructions see Apply for Financial Aid in the financial aid section of our website.


What kind of financial aid is available?

Federal Stafford Loans and Federal Graduate PLUS loans are available at Emperor’s College. A few scholarships are available; click here for current scholarship information. Pell grants are not available to graduate students.

 In order to determine if you are eligible, you need to apply. For complete financial aid application instructions see ‘Apply for Financial Aid’ in the financial aid section of our website. You may review the eligibility requirements here.


Do I have to pay back the financial aid I receive?

Loans always need to be paid back.


Why do I have to have a high school diploma?

The Department of Education and the federal government require that each student who receives financial aid have a high school diploma or the equivalent.


Why do I need a copy of my tax returns?

You will need information from your tax return in order to complete the FAFSA. Also approximately 30 percent of all financial aid applicants are selected for verification, in which case, a copy of the tax return must be supplied to the financial aid office at the college.


If I am in the National Guard or an Active Duty military member, am I considered a veteran for purposes of filling out the FAFSA?

If you were a member of the National Guard or were a Reservist who was called to Active Duty for other than training purposes and can verify that your release from Active Duty was other than dishonorable, you are considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes.
If you are on Active Duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, but will be a veteran by June 30 of the year you are applying for aid, and can verify that your release from Active Duty as other than dishonorable, you are considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes. If your Active Duty will continue past June 30, however, you are not considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes.

Most male students must be registered with Selective Service to get financial aid. If you are male and age 18 -25 and not registered, you may register by selecting the appropriate box on the FAFSA.


How does a family decide who should be counted in the household size?

Emperor’s College is a ‘graduate / professional’ institution and all students are considered ‘independent’. An independent student and spouse may be counted in the household size, Any other person who resides in the household and receives more than 50 percent support from the independent student or spouse may also be counted, such as an aunt or cousin, so long as the support is expected to continue from July 1, through June 30, of the current academic year. An unborn child who will be born during the award year may also be counted in the household size.Household size and tax exemptions are not necessarily the same. Exemptions look at the previous year or tax year and household size refers to the school year for which the student is applying for aid.


How many hours per week can you work and still be successful in school?

Statistics gathered nationally show that students who work 20 hours per week or less on-campus do much better than students who work more.


What is a Request for Financial Aid Form?

This form notifies Emperor’s College of your intent to enroll and receive financial aid at our institution. If you do not complete the activation form, your financial aid file will not be complete.


What happens to my Financial Aid if I take a quarter off?

You must submit a ‘Request for Leave of Absence’ form to the academic department prior to taking a quarter off from college. When this form is processed to financial aid your disbursement(s) for that quarter will be cancelled. You must register for the following quarter, because two quarters will exceed the maximum allowable 180 days of leave within one year. If you do not return to college the following quarter, you must complete an exit counseling session and your loan will be cancelled and will it will go into repayment status six months after your last day of attendance. You may regain in-school deferment if you return to at least half-time registration and may apply for financial aid again.


What happens to my Financial Aid if I must leave college during a quarter?

Your financial aid will be reviewed upon receipt of written notification of your intent to drop classes. Your eligibility for financial aid is re-calculated and may result in some funds being returned to the lender. You are accountable to repay the college for funds returned to your lender by the school. Funds returned are credited to your Unsubsidized loan first, then any remaining refund is credited to your Subsidized loan.


When should I apply for aid?

You should submit your FAFSA, for your next award year, as soon as you complete your prior year’s federal taxes. The FAFSA award year runs from July 1 to the following June 30. Students may start their financial aid award year at any quarter. All documentation, including the FAFSA, MPN and Request for financial must be submitted at least three weeks prior to the start of a quarter to ensure that you receive aid (if you are eligible) in time to pay your fees. If you complete your file after these dates, you will be expected to pay your own fees and will be reimbursed if you are eligible.


What is Emperor’s College’s school code?

Emperor’s College’s school code is 026090.


What is loan consolidation and which loans can be consolidated?

A consolidation loan converts several federal student loan promissory notes into a unified promissory note with new repayment terms. Borrowers consolidate for several reasons, including bringing loans from multiple lenders together, lowering required monthly payments, and lengthening the repayment term. You may consolidate your loans after you have graduated or withdrawn from the college.
Loans eligible for consolidation include:

  • Federal Family Education Loan (FFELP) Program Loans (Stafford, PLUS, SLS, and Consolidation)
  • Federal Direct Student Loan (FDSL) Program Loans (Stafford, PLUS, and Consolidation).
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Additional Federal Loans not commonly held by Emperor’s College students: (FISL, HPSL, HEAL, LDS, NSL)