Emperor’s College is very fortunate to have a culturally diverse student body in both its doctoral and master’s degree programs of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. The myriad of backgrounds brings life to campus and rewards each student with a strong community of like-minded individuals from which to draw.
English Language Requirements
All courses in the doctoral program are taught in English.
Applicants from a non-English speaking country are required to demonstrate competency in the English skills needed for success in the program. Proof of English proficiency can be satisfied by
- Scoring at least 61 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet based test (iBT) which also requires a minimum speaking exam score of 26 and a minimum listening score of 22, or a level 6 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.
- The satisfactory completion of two-years (60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits) baccalaureate level education in an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or from an equivalent English language institution in another country.
Applicants who do not satisfy the English proficiency requirement may be considered for admission with English as a second language, but they must satisfy the proficiency requirement in English before beginning the clinical experience.
Apply as an International Doctoral Fellow
International applicants who wish to be considered for admission to the doctoral program must complete the following:
- General admissions and application process
- Official academic transcripts translated into English
- A comprehensive course-by-course evaluation of all foreign academic transcripts performed by an academic credential evaluation service that is a member of NACES
- Demonstration of English proficiency as outlined above.
- An I-20 request form with a photocopy of your passport
- Evidence of financial resources sufficient to complete the academic program. (Please contact the Admissions Director for more information about sufficient financial resources)
In addition to providing translated versions of official academic transcripts to Emperor’s College, applicants must have all foreign academic transcripts evaluated by a NACES-member credential evaluation service. Here are four credential evaluation services for your consideration. We encourage you to look into each and see which works best for your circumstances.
In addition to the official evaluation, you will need 2-4 copies of your official transcripts from your foreign university (as outlined below). For some countries/schools, the process of requesting official transcripts can be quite difficult, so we try to make sure students with an international academic background are made aware of this ahead of time and can prepare accordingly.
- One (1) sent directly to the credential evaluation service for its evaluation (admissions)
- One (1) sent directly to Emperor’s College (admissions)
- One (1) sent to the California Acupuncture Board (CAB) for your application to take the California Acupuncture Licensing Examination (CALE) (post-graduation; if you intend to take the CALE)
- One (1) sent to the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) for your application to take the national NCCAOM Certification Examination accepted by 43 other U.S. states (post-graduation; if you intend to take the NCCAOM)
Resources and References
A Guide for International Visitors. (2007). [ebook] Washington DC: U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Available at: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/WelcomeToTheUS.pdf [Accessed 5 Jan. 2018].
Travel.state.gov. (2018). Student Visa. [online] Available at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html [Accessed 5 Jan. 2018].
Opportunity for All
Emperor’s College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students who meet our general admissions requirements and to comply with all federal guidelines under the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.